Garage Door Safety Information
A garage door is the largest and heaviest moving item in a house; it is also one of the most overlooked. Like every other mechanical device you own, your garage door and remote control opener (where fitted) require regular inspection and maintenance to ensure safe, smooth and reliable operation. Understand the importance of garage door safety is not only crucial for the home owner, but for everyone in your home.
Following are 10 things everyone in your household should know about garage door safety:
- The garage door and opener are not toys.
They are dangerous if misused, and can cause serious injury or even death.
- Children should never be allowed to play with the garage door or its operating system.
Children should never stand, run or play under or near any garage door, especially when the door is open or moving.
- Adults should not allow children access to the remote controls or wall mounted entry keypads for garage door opener systems, these should be kept out of reach of children at all times.
The wall mounted entry keypads for a garage door operating system should be mounted at least five feet off the floor, and remote controls should be stored somewhere safe out of the reach of children.
- Never stand or walk under a moving garage door.
Never try to enter or exit the garage by racing under a moving garage door.
- When opening or closing the garage door, always keep the door in view until the door is fully opened or closed.
Make certain that no adults or children try to enter or exit while the door is closing.
- Keep fingers and hands away from garage door sections when the door is opening or closing to avoid injury.
- Keep your garage door properly maintained to keep it operating safely with an annual maintenance service performed by a trained service technician.
It is recommended to be aware of other tests and maintenance tasks you can perform. View the AGDA safety brochure for further detail.
- Remember that your garage door opener uses electricity, if mishandled these can result in serious injury or loss of life.
Servicing or repairing a garage door opener should be performed by a trained service technician only. Contact the team at Correct Garage Doors to book a service or repair.
- Never attempt to repair a garage door’s springs or cables.
These are under extreme tension and misuse can result in severe injury. Correct Garage Doors expertly trained technicians have the experience and knowledge to safely repair garage door springs and cables.
- If someone has backed into the garage door, it is a good idea to have the door inspected or repaired by a qualified professional.
Even if the door doesn’t appear to be severely damaged, the operating system may have become misaligned and wear out prematurely, creating what could be a dangerous environment.
The safety of the occupants inside a home with a garage door is Correct Garage Doors priority. For more information on garage door safety, or to book a garage door service or repair contact the expertly train team at Correct Garage Doors. Enquire online or call us on 07 3804 1635 today.